The United Way of St. Clair County has adopted the following values as the base upon which all organizational decisions are screened:
- Valuing diversity in governance, operations, and allocations with donor representation in all decision making processes.
- Helping families and individuals to help themselves by focusing on preventative solutions wherever possible.
- Promoting the development of community wide collaborative and cooperative services.
- Assuring the highest levels of accountability by maintaining a standardized and impartial relationship with all service providers.
- Fostering a spirit of caring and social responsibility in individuals and employers.
The United Way of St. Clair County will be a leader to help the community identify and address human care problems. It will accomplish this by:
- Identifying critical and emerging human service needs through qualified assessments.
- Generating financial resources in a manner which is responsive to both donor and community needs.
- Managing and allocating resources for maximum efficiency and accountability.
- Responding appropriately to existing needs with an emphasis on preventative measures whenever possible.
- Promoting volunteerism and leadership development to support the human services network.
The United Way of St. Clair County is a completely autonomous organization governed by an Executive Committee and Board of Directors. It is a corporation as defined in Michigan Non-Profit Corporation Act, 162 of 1982, and classified by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) organization.
The United Way of St. Clair County is a volunteer organization dedicated to providing health and human services to the residents of the community. It is driven by an annual Campaign which mobilizes community volunteers to actively solicit funds. The Campaign is coordinated by an appointed Campaign Chair and supported by a small professional staff.
The members, officers, directors, committee members, employees, and persons served by this corporation shall be selected entirely on a nondiscriminatory basis with respect to age, sex, race, religious affiliation, and national origin.
All funds donated to the United Way of St. Clair County are directed through an all-volunteer Board of Directors and fund distribution committee. The United Way of St. Clair County maintains an audit trail; contracting independent accounting firms to maintain the integrity of the organization through an overall annual audit of its financial statements.